Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hello Kitty cake construction

Well, my Mom always made wonderful cakes for us, so I've been trying to keep the tradition alive with my own little girls! The first birthday was a butterfly cake that turned out pretty cute, last year was cupcakes on a tower with a Nemo theme, and this year ended up being Hello Kitty. How I was going to make a cake, I had no idea. So I decided to totally wing it -- and here are the results!
The napkin -- my inspiration.
And I'm such a geek that I drafted up the pattern and printed it out to use as a template for cutting the top layer out.....
.....which then got put on top of the base layer that was already frosted and sprinkled....
....and then came frosting, jelly beans for the eyes and nose, and black licorice for the wiskers....
.....cake scaps....which taste just as good as the cake, but have the added bonus of needing as much frosting as you want on them!

No comments: