Saturday, February 12, 2011

Minnie Mouse cake

So we picked a theme for Ashley's party - Minnie Mouse!! We picked up a bunch of fun plates and napkins and cups, but then we needed a cake......so here's what we came up with:
There was NO way that I would be able to make Minnie's face, even with the Minnie Mouse pans that you can buy. So we tried making a Minnie Mouse hat. I baked a cake in a mixing bowl with a rounded base, then trimmed the top flat and turned it upside down.
I browsed the aisles at Michael's and found that the fun craft-foam sheets comes in a double thickness....so that's what the ears are. I also bought some wired ribbon and made my own bow. A little piped frosting, and the whole things looked pretty cute!
 Ta-da!!
So I figured that we also needed cupcakes, but how do you make Minnie cupcakes? Turns out that the ideas you get at 2 am while laying in bed sometime actually work! The ears are chocolate parliels (turned backwards) and I bought a spool of thin ribbon to match the big cake's ribbon. Tie about 20 bows, stick everything on top, and presto! Minnie Mouse cupcakes!!
Big sister looking on and making sure that I'm doing it all right!
 She let me know that I passed quality control!!

No comments: