Monday, February 11, 2013

The Barn Cake!

All righty then....I've been catching up so that I could show the BARN CAKE!!! Ashley has been asking for months to have a 'cow birthday.' Hm....what on earth could I do for it? I did a minimal amount of research and found an adorable idea -- complete with DIRECTIONS!! (I can follow directions....)
  Step 1: bake a cake mix in 2 rounds, cut a chunk out and piece them together. Trim a pound cake to shape the barn, stack three cupcakes for the silo.
 Step 2: frost the base green, with a white spot that will be covered with blue food-gel for a pond, frost the barn and silo white. Stick pull-apart licorice to the barn and silo. Use cereal (Life) for roof shingles.
 Skipping ahead a bit. Lay pretzel sticks flat and use melted chocolate chips to 'glue' cross-bracing for fence sections. Coat 'pond'. Pipe white frosting door and windows, add pretzel details, add fences to cake. Add cupcakes for even more cuteness! The cupcakes were great!! The pigs were frosted pink, chocolate chip eyes, pink starbursts cut in half for the ears, then a marshmallow cut in half and dipped in pink sprinkles for the nose. The chicks were frosted yellow, chocolate chip eyes, yellow sprinkles (because I can't stand coconut, which is what it said to use), then jelly fruit slices cut up for the wings and beaks. The cows were frosted white, chocolate chip eyes, same marshmallow nose as the pigs, but then piped chocolate detailing.
 Aren't they cute?!?!?
 The finished product!
So cute, if I must say so myself....
 More details....
 Janna found candles that spelled 'Ashley' and we added a number '4'...
   Happy birthday to you!
 Happy girl!!

No comments: